Friday 16 November 2012

NO GOING BACK!

‘One cannot go back to the farmer from whom one borrowed seed-yams to plant to say the beetles have eaten up the seed-yams’

 

In the olden days, farmers used to assist one another by borrowing or exchanging seeds for planting. A farmer who plants only groundnut on his farm may demand cassava seed from another farmer with the promise of exchanging with groundnut seeds or paying back with some ripen cassava after a bountiful harvest.

Our ancestors believe that no one can tolerate a farmer who chooses to give flimsy excuses or fails to fulfill his promise. One cannot go back to the farmer from whom one borrowed seed-yams to plant to say the beetles have eaten up the seed-yams. No excuse at all.

Also in life, whatever you have today are not directly yours. They are like the seed-yams that the creator borrowed you. We are not expected to use or treat them carelessly because if the beetles eat them up, they become useless to us and to the creator. We are never expected to go back to the creator with flimsy excuses that our seed-yams had been stolen or eaten up by the beetles of life.

The children we have, our business, our ageing parents, our projects in life, our career, our talents and our potent ideas are like the borrowed seed-yams that are expected to be treated with care so as to germinate healthily. If we don’t take care of our seed-yams, any beetle may come to eat them up.

The homeless and unruly kids, the failing business, the isolated parents, the abandoned projects, the neglected career, the unused talent and ineffective ideas in our society today are examples of the borrowed seed-yams eaten by beetles.

Remember, you will face the consequence of every seed-yam that you carelessly allow the beetles of life to eat up. You have no excuse to fail.

Don't start your day without a word from the ancestors...remember, a word is enough for the wise. Sign up with us for a daily feed. Follow @our_ancestors on twitter or email: wordsofourancestors@gmail.com. May your days be plenty!

6 comments:

  1. Our ancestors, Why did you choose to speak late today? thanks to your lateness because it has made me be the first person to comment today.:-)
    I think I can relate this ancestors words to our politicians who were given the opportunity to serve the country.
    The Opportunity given to them can be seen as the borrowed seed-yams. and The People are the farmers who borrow them the seeds.
    If they use the opportunity well, they can decide to rerun and will be voted in but when they do not use it well, they tend to find one thing or the other to say so as to justify themselves. The people do not listen to them and do not even give them another chance because they have been seen as not trustworthy.

    Ann(08186453903)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice word from the ancestors.
    This post has really touched me because it was actually directed to me.
    Something happened during my secondary school days and because of that, I became unserious with my academics and this made me repeat a class. My guardian then wanted to withdraw from taking care of me. Thank God for people's intervention.
    from my story, I can say that I am the farmer who went to borrow seed-yam, My guardian then is the Farmer who borrowed me the seed-yam and my academics was the seed-yam. I couldnt tell him I failed but I had to.
    Not everyone will always have that type of chance.(Bisola 08098524944).
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this timely piece. I can deduce from this that my life, talent and resources (borrowed seeds) are deposits from God not only to benefit me (the farmer) but also to profit God through His other creatures. Because of this I purpose to consciously live a life that will give back to the society, so I can be a profitable farmer.
    Thank you the ancestors.
    08034798926

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank u the ancestor.from the word for today, it got to understand that the best is expected from us by our parents,friends,even our society.Especially frm our parents after investing so much on us.As for me,I must make sure I give my best in return to as many that are expecting the best from me.Thank u always our ancestors.Betty(08151003966)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ancestors, thank u for this write up. My deduction is that whatever I have or have achieved is a combination of other people's deposits. It will therefore be unwise of me to be selfish and not give back to the society that has given so much to me. It is in giving back that I replenish the seed and ensure that others benefit from the free gift of nature.
    Thank you.
    07030709758

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without relating this to our personal lives or the lives of people we know, there is just one thing that is crystal clear to me from what the ancestor just delivered; ''WE ALL NEED TO START ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITIES FOR OUR LIVES AND WHATEVER HAPPENS IN OUR SOCIETY, RATHER THAN SIT HERE AND SHIFT BLAMES'' In one way or the other, we have people in this same condition of ours, and there are still thriving to get to the top without any limiting factor holding them down. We all have our own quota to contribute, while we leave the government to do theirs. 08123451930

    ReplyDelete